Saturday, March 12, 2016

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake (Gluten Free, Vegan, Low Fat)


I'm one of those horrible people that see the words "gluten free" or "vegan" or "low fat" and immediately think that whatever it is must taste like hay. 
I know... I know... I'm trying to stop thinking that way. It's just that I have had many, many experiences with food labelled as such that have, shall we say, not been delightful. 
This cake though.
Well. This cake is helping to change my mind. I made it for my niece when she came to visit. She loved it! I snuck a little piece for myself and, I have to say, it was pretty darned tasty. 
The texture was moist and crumbly - not all gluten-free-weird. (Sorry, can't help it.)
If you give it a try we'd love to hear what you thought. 


Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
(Gluten free, Vegan, Low Fat)

Ingredients
2 1/4 cup oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 large, ripe bananas
1 tsp coconut extract
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup chocolate chips

Glaze
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/8 tsp maple extract
1 - 2 Tbsp coconut milk

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8 or 9 inch pan with parchment paper, set aside.
In a blender or food processor, process the oats until very fine (like flour). Add in baking powder and baking soda and salt - pulse to combine.
In a mixing bowl, mash the 3 bananas until smooth. Blend in the coconut extract, coconut oil, and maple syrup until well combined.
Mix together the wet and dry ingredients until just mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips. 
Spread in prepared pan.


Bake at 350 until top appears dry and is golden brown, about 20 - 25 minutes. (Less time will be needed if you use a 9 inch pan, keep an eye on it!) Toothpick inserted near center should come out clean. 
Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes on wire rack.


Remove from pan and prepare glaze.
Prepare glaze - Whisk together the icing sugar, extract, and coconut milk until smooth. 


Drizzle over warm cake.


Serve warm or room temp.


See how moist and crumbly it looks?
I'm all about texture in baking, that's why I often have issues with gluten free. I really liked the texture of this though. Very close to my "normal" baking, although a bit more dense. 


You can make some substitutions if you like. For example: you can use vanilla extract or maple instead of coconut. You can use butter instead of coconut oil. You can use honey instead of maple syrup. And, for the glaze, you can sub coconut extract for the maple, or you can use regular milk/soy milk for the coconut milk.  Of course, some of these changes will void the vegan aspect of this cake. 
You could also sub the chocolate chips for butterscotch chips or nuts. 

Stop By Carole's Chatter for some great links to more fab recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment