Saturday, February 20, 2016

Omelet Stuffed Pepper


The other day I must have lay in bed for an hour trying to decide on what I wanted for breakfast. 
I wanted something hot, something, easy, something filling, but it had to be healthy, low cal, and require like no effort on my part because I was feeling sooooo lazy. 
Most of the recipes I could find were for overnight casserole type dishes - which didn't do me any good because, of course, I did not plan ahead. 
Eventually I stumbled across a photo of an avocado baked with an egg in the middle. 
I thought, hey, if an avocado can hold an egg then so can a pepper. But then, I didn't want to just break the egg in and bake it because I didn't want it to be all runny AND I wanted bacon in there too. 
My compromise?  
Omelet in a pepper.
*Tah-Dah!!*


Omelet Stuffed Pepper

Ingredients
1 green pepper, halved and seeded
1 egg
1 Tbsp 1% milk
 salt & pepper to taste
2 button mushrooms, diced
1 slice onion, diced
1 slice bacon, diced
1 thin slice tomato, diced
1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 375. 
Place halved pepper in an oven safe dish (I used a pie tin). (NOTE - Don't de-stem the pepper. The egg will run out the top if you do!)


In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, salt & pepper, set aside.
In a small frying pan over medium heat, cook and stir the mushroom, onion, and bacon until bacon is cooked. Stir in the tomato and remove from heat.


Stir the onion mixture into the beaten egg mixture. 
Very carefully pour or spoon the filling into the pepper halves.


Bake at 375 until filling is set - about 30 to 45 minutes. 
Remove from heat and let sit 2 or 3 minutes.


Sprinkle with a tsp of Parmesan cheese and serve. 


Okay.
So not only is this delicious and easy and inexpensive and healthy and customizable and just about the most perfect breakfast out there... you can make it for one or you can make it for a crowd. 
Nutritional counts according to Myfitness pal - 210 calories, 14 carbs, 11 fat, and 15 protein. (That's for the whole shebang!)
I whipped it up and popped it in the oven then went and had my shower and got dressed. It was ready just as I finished up. 
Great way to start the day on the right foot even if you are feeling super-de-duper lazy. 

Be sure to visit Carole's Chatter for tons of links to other great recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment