Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Slow Cooked Short Ribs


When I started making this recipe I wasn't going to photograph it for the blog. I thought - there is no way I can take a picture where short ribs will look appealing. I thought - I'm going to make them look not delicious and won't do them justice. I mean...it's a hunk of beef in gravy. How can I make that look pretty? 
But then, being a food blogger for several years now, I thought.... well.... justincase I better take some shots. 
*Whew*
Good thing I did.
I think they turned out pretty darned appealing and tasty looking. Which is good because this is one of the most delicious dinners I have ever made. 
Not even lying. 
It is sooooooooo simple but is fancy enough to serve to guests you want to impress (in-laws, I'm looking in your direction...) 
Can you call beef short ribs "pretty"? 
Yes.
Yes, you can.


Slow Cooked Beef Short Ribs

Ingredients
2 Tbsp sesame oil
2 to 3 lbs beef short ribs (bone in)
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 whole shallots (or 1 large onion), finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 cup red wine
2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp flour
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 250. 
In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook short ribs for 2 minutes on each side. Remove ribs and place in bottom of a dutch oven (*these can also be placed in a slow cooker!)
In the frying pan, cook the celery, shallots, and garlic until onion softens - about 3 - 4 minutes. 
Stir in the tomato paste and curry powder and cook for 1 minute. 
Add in red wine, beef broth, and soy sauce. 
Stir in flour and bring sauce to a boil. 


Pour the sauce over the short ribs. 


You may need to a little more liquid as you want it to almost cover the ribs. 
Cook at 250 until meat is very tender and falling off the bones - about 5 hours. **I flipped the meat in the sauce at the 2 hour and 4 hour mark to ensure even cooking.**


Keep warm in oven while you prepare your side dishes - I went with garlic mashed potatoes and peas & carrots. Serve hot.


It is ridiculously tender....
And can we talk about the gravy for a second?
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan... that is some amazing gravy. Don't waste it. Use every drop. Seriously. 


I'm glad I decided to take some pics. I was very happy with how pretty everything looked. Maybe I was influenced by how crazy good the short ribs tasted!
Note - You can also place everything into a slow cooker instead of a Dutch oven and cook on low for about 9 - 11 hours (it really helps to know your slow cooker!!)
Slow is the way to go!


Be sure to click HERE to visit Carole's Chatter for more fun foody links! 

1 comment: