Sunday, November 2, 2014

Baba Ganoush


Sue and I used to have Baba Ganoush every once in a while when we were younger. Our parents would buy it and serve it at family functions. I know I haven't had it for many, many years. Which is sad. 
I mean....it's delicious, it's healthy, it's low cal, it's smooth and creamy.
It's everything a dip should be.
I believe this is originally a Middle Eastern recipe. I have taken several different versions from around the internet and magazines and come up with this one. 
Something I did not know - it is basically the exact same thing as hummus except it's eggplant instead of chickpeas. Interesting, right? I learned something new today. 
Anyway, if you haven't tried Baba Ganoush before then you really need to. It's super simple to whip up. 
PLUS.... it's really fun to say. 
Try it for your next holiday get-together - I bet you get a lot of requests for the recipe!


Baba Ganoush

Ingredients
4 small to medium eggplants (about 2 lbs)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup tahini
juice of 2 lemons (about 1/2 cup)
1 tsp salt
generous shake of pepper
generous shake of cumin

Garnish
Pinch of paprika
Pinch of dried parsley

Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil. Poke the 4 eggplants with a knife a couple of times (so they don't explode in the oven) and then place on cookie sheet.


Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Gently flip the eggplants with tongs and then continue baking for another 15 or 20 minutes. (Eggplant will be soft and look fairly wrinkly).
Remove from oven and let cool about 20 minutes - until cool enough to handle with bare hands.
Cut each eggplant in half and scoop flesh into a blender (or food processor). Discard leftover skins.


Add in the garlic and tahini to the eggplant and pulse until fairly smooth but still a few chunks.
Add in lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cumin.
Process until smooth. 


I prefer to cover and let sit in fridge for a few hours for flavors to blend but you can serve it right away while it is still a bit warm if you prefer. Just garnish with the paprika and parsley and you are good to go.


Serve with pita bread, crackers, carrots and/or veggies, or - our favorite - baguette bread.  
I figured it out on Myfitnesspal and a serving comes to: 
50 calories, 3 carbs, 3 fat, and 1 protein.
(My recipe yielded approx 3 cups so 1 serving is 1/12th of the recipe OR 1/4 cup)
Pretty good choice if you are trying to watch your calories during the holidays! (Or anytime, for that matter)
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Good Afternoon Jo and Sue, I love, love, baba ganoush and during the summer months we eat it as part of a meze. I feel aubergines are
    so under used that it is wonderful to see you flying the flag for aubergines.
    I am visiting from Treasurebox Tuesday and I have enjoyed my visit that I have become a new follower.
    Best Wishes to you.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daphne. I am just starting to really enjoy eggplant ad can't wait to try out some new recipes! :) (P.S. - Thanks for following!)

      Delete
  2. You have a great tutorial on making Baba Ganoush and I can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delicious!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fun to say! My favorite Greek restaurant has a good baba ganoush, but I've never made it at home. Thanks for the tips on cooking the eggplant and for stopping in and sharing with See Ya in the Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for linking up at Simple Supper Tuesday! Your yummy Babaganoush has been featured at Moore or Less Coking Blog! Nettie

    POST: http://mooreorlesscooking.com/2014/11/10/simple-supper-tuesday-linky-party-35/

    ReplyDelete