Friday, October 17, 2014

Pecan Pie


My first pecan pie ever.
I can't believe I haven't made one before this point and, after tasting it, I REALLY can't believe I've waited this long to make one.
So. Darn. Tasty.
Very sweet. I mean.... it's pretty much made of syrup and sugar.... but WOW this was fantastic as one of our Thanksgiving desserts. I'm pretty sure we are deep in sugar coma territory here but I'm not complaining about it. 
This may have been my first pecan pie but it won't be my last!


Pecan Pie

Crust
or your own favorite, single crust pie dough

Filling
3 eggs
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2 Tbsp dark corn syrup
1 vanilla bean pod, scraped (pod discarded)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter, melted
pinch salt
1/2 cup pecans, chopped fine
 1 cup pecan halves

Directions
Preheat oven to 375. Roll out pie crust and place in a 9 inch pie plate. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, corn syrups, vanilla bean scrapings, brown sugar, butter, salt, and the 1/2 cup of finely chopped pecans.
Pour mixture into crust in the pie plate.


Gently place the remaining pecan halves on top of the filling. (Just "float" them on top, don't push them down.)


Place in oven and bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Turn heat down to 350 and continue cooking until filling is browned, puffed up, and set up (no longer jiggly), about 45 mins to an hour. If you find the crust getting to dark just carefully cover the edges with strips of tinfoil. 


Let cool to room temp before serving so filling can set. (The filling will deflate a bit as it cools!)


You can add more pecans on top if you like. 
Be careful not to overcook it as most people like pecan pie a teeny bit gooey! 
Oh, and if you don't have a vanilla bean to use then just put in 2 tsp of vanilla extract. 
Pretty simple to whip up - I think the toughest part for me was getting it into the oven without spilling it. 
Definitely a treat that is perfect for a family get together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment