Friday, August 9, 2013

Savory Zucchini Oatmeal (single serving)


Sue and I have a friend who follows our blog that came up with a challenge for us. She had been looking for savory oatmeal recipes but couldn't find one that she really liked. She asked if we would be able to come up with a savory oatmeal that sounded a little more appetizing than the ones she had found. 
This is a HUGE challenge for me for two reasons.
1. I had never heard of savory oatmeal before.
2. I strongly dislike oatmeal.
You can see why this might be a tough one for me. I decided to jump in and give it a try. 
I decided to go the simple route and stick with minimal spices and I toasted the oats to add more flavor. 
Although this still does not look that pretty, (really, does oatmeal ever look pretty?) I was extremely pleased with the end result. 
I may not like "regular" oatmeal but I am a convert to the savory version. 


Savory Zucchini Oatmeal (single serving)

Ingredients
1/3 cup quick cook oats
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
1/2 cup zucchini, finely diced
2/3 cup chicken broth

Directions
In a medium skillet over medium heat, toast oats until they start to brown - stirring constantly. 


Remove from skillet to a small bowl. Set aside.
Place skillet back over medium heat. Add in oil and mustard seeds. Stir until seeds start to pop. Add in garlic, onion, and zucchini.


Cook and stir until onions are softened, about 4 - 5 minutes. Add toasted oats back to pan.


Stir to combine. Add in the 2/3 cup of chicken broth. Cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Using the quick cooking oats, this should only take 1 - 2 minutes. 
Remove from heat. Serve hot.


I don't know if our friend will find this any better than the recipes she was able to dig up BUT  I do want to thank her for challenging me to think outside the box when it comes to oatmeal. 
I never would have thought to try savory oatmeal without her provocation. It definitely is better than sweet oatmeal, in my opinion. 
Oh yeah, there is some more good news about this recipe!
According to Myfitnesspal, for the entire recipe: calories - 206, carbs - 29, fat - 7, protein - 6. 
And....and...and..... from start to finish this took me under 15 minutes. 
Have I convinced you to try this yet?

Stop by The Chicken Chick or Feeding Big for tons of great links!

1 comment:

  1. this is awesome!!! I have to get more oatmeal and oat bran into my diet but I can't eat oatmeal unless it has brown sugar and cream in it. :( I have an overload of zucchini in my garden and I love savory takes on grains. Yum. :)

    ReplyDelete