Thursday, May 16, 2013

Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole For Two

 
One of my favorite dishes of all times is hashbrown casserole. The one with cream of cheddar cheese soup (or cream of mushroom, etc..), sour cream, onions, and lots of cheese. The only problem is I can't stop eating it.
Seriously.
Once I start....there is no turning back.
I decided to see if I could downsize the recipe to make just enough for one or two servings. (I was originally only going to make it one serving but, let's face it, leftover for breakfast the next day are why we all make this casserole!)
I left out the cream soup because I didn't want to have to open a can for only a few tablespoons and went with some other options instead.
Myfitnesspal tells me that one serving of this (half the recipe) is:
300 calories, 37 carbs, 11 fat, and 13 protein.
Not too bad at all for how decadent this is. Perfect for dinner one night and breakfast the next day.
 
 
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole For Two
 
Ingredients
1 large potato, diced into small cubes
1 green onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp light cream cheese
1 Tbsp light sour cream
1/2 cup aged cheddar, shredded (divided)
1/4 cup milk (1%)
1 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 tsp Panko bread crumbs
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 350. (Can also be made in toaster oven) Spray 2 single serving, oven safe dishes with cooking spray, set aside.
Parboil your diced potato for 5 minutes, until partially cooked but not quite done. Drain potatoes and place in a medium sized bowl.
 
 
Add in onion, garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, aged cheddar (all except for 2 Tbsps), milk, and bacon.
 
 
Stir to combine. Spoon into the 2 prepared dishes.
Sprinkle each with a 1 tsp of Panko and 1 Tbsp of the remaining cheddar cheese.
 
 
Bake at 350 for 30 - 45 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and potatoes are cooked through.
Serve immediately. (Caution - dish is VERY hot)
 
 
Mmmmm...cheesy.
A few notes -
1. You can leave the bacon out, crumble in a cooked sausage, or even use a little lean ground beef.
2. You can make this easier by using frozen hashbrowns instead of having to prep your own potato. You would use approx 1 1/4 cup of frozen hashbrowns.
3. You can switch up the type of cheese you use to include your favorite cheese.
4.. You may want to set a pie plate or cookie sheet under your dishes as this does bubble up and spill over a teeny bit.
I was nice and shared one with our dad but, next time, I'm totally hiding one so I can have it for breakfast the next day.
 
Be sure to visit The Rustic Pig and Jam Hands and Feeding Big and The Velvet Moon Baker and Easy Life for tons of great links!

7 comments:

  1. I was thrilled to find a Cheesy Potato casserole for two. It is extremely hard for me to downsize my cooking now that I am an empty nester. Thanks for sharing!
    Stopping by and liking your site from the In and Out Party.

    Please join our BBQ Block Party Thursday on May 23rd and share your link to the side dish. http://www.easylifemealandpartyplanning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy this looks gorgeous thanks for linking them up at Sweet and Savoury Linky party. Hope to see you there again this weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe and the fact that it is for two! Thanks so much for sharing on the BBQ Block Party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I just saw it at Recipe Sharing Monday - yum, yum! :-) I love baking anything in single servings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. shauckofs92@yahoo.comJuly 30, 2020 at 2:22 PM

    I made this fabuloua cheesy hashbrown casserole for two as a side for our dinner tonight. We really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your Meals For Two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was very manageable for some bits and bobs of leftovers I had. Thanx!!

    ReplyDelete