Sunday, August 26, 2012

Crazy Easy Pizza Dough


Super quick post today. I'm in the midst of making a bazillion different pies and a million different recipes for dinner.
Plus, I put my neck/shoulder out.
Then...I stubbed my toe on a chair leg and I am pretty sure I broke it.
Feel bad for me?
My family doesn't. 
Want to know how the conversation went?
My dad - Oooh that's too bad. Remember that one time I fell and broke my neck?
(Yeah, he actually did. The day before his 80th birthday)
My mom - Remember that one time I got my fingers cut off in the lawnmower?
Sue - Remember that one time when I got hit by a bat and broke my arm? Or that other time, when I needed to have surgery to have my gallbladder removed?
See what I have to put up with?
They are jerks.
I will seek sympathy from strangers then. That's just fine.
Anyway, this pizza crust is super simple and quick to whip up. Especially when you are whining about your sore neck/shoulder or broken toe.


Crazy Easy Pizza Dough
(Slightly adapted from Allrecipes)

Ingredients
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and brown sugar in the water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
Stir the salt, oil, and minced garlic into the yeast solution.
Mix in 2 cups of the flour. Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky but still fairly soft.
Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise until double; this should take about 1 hour.


Before the rise (above), after (below)


Preheat oven to 425.
Punch down dough. Let dough relax for a minute before rolling out. Use for your favorite pizza recipe.
 Line a cookie tray with parchment paper, press the dough onto it, and let the dough rise for about 15 minutes before topping and baking it.


I have also made it on round pizza trays, lined with parchment paper, as well...


Bake pizza in preheated oven, until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.


This made almost one full cookie tray. It was about 1 inch shy of the end of the pan. I probably could have stretched it a bit more but didn't want the dough to be too thin.
It is chewy yet just crunchy enough.
Perfect homemade pizza.


Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some more whining to do.

Don't forget, Ms. enPlace has some great links! Check it out!

8 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your accidents. Reminds me of the time when I....oh wait, sorry, sorry. Supposed to be concerned with you. Ok. So I hope you feel all better soon. Great recipe by the way, although I've always been scared to try making anything with yeast. Maybe I'll try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaw...thank you for the sympathy :)
      I hope you do give this recipe a try. It's a great one if you are nervous about yeast.

      Delete
  2. Poor Jo! People who don't offer sympathy don't deserve a bazillion pies, I think.

    I'm really interested in adding brown sugar to pizza dough. Don't think I've come across that before.

    As always, thank you for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. As for your question re: freezing - I'm not too sure. I've never tried to freeze it :/ Sorry I can't be more helpful!

      Delete
  4. Just found your recipe for pizza dough ... I love that it's fast and easy ... and it's raising beautifully. I can't wait to roll it out and bake a pizza tonight. Thanks so much ... Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope you love it as much as we do @nfaband :)

      Delete