Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pumpkin Oatmeal Scotchies


Cookies…cookies…and more cookies….
The more I think about it the more I know that if I had to choose a favorite cookie….I wouldn’t be able to. Oh sure... I could lie to you…and pick out any number of cookies that I LOVE. But they wouldn’t really be my one true favorite.
I’ve decided that my favorite cookie changes randomly with my mood.
Chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin, you know…the classics….will all be cyclical favorites at some point. This week though, my favorite cookie were these deliciously squishy Pumpkin Oatmeal Scotchies. Pumpkin and butterscotch is a genius combination. Kind of Autumn-ish I suppose but I will soldier on and eat them during other seasons as well.
  Pumpkin Oatmeal Scotchies
Ingredients
1 1/4 cup cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temp
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk flour, baking soda, spices, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
Beat butter with both sugars until smooth and creamy. Add egg and vanilla extract. Next, add in pumpkin and mix until combined.
Using wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture. Stir in oats and butterscotch chips.
Drop dough by the tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are set and golden. Remove cookies from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
 If you want to see the photos that made me have to make this then go to the Make and Takes blog. My photos aren’t nearly as drool inducing. Trust me when I say that these are incredibly yummy. If you try them you will see why they are my favorite of the moment. The butterscotch chips make these so addicting that I could eat the whole batch.
**UPDATE**
I made this into a bar simply by packing the batter into a 9 X 13 pan lined with parchment paper.

 
And then baked it for about 20 minutes - until it was puffed up and browned. Then, let it cool, use the parchment paper "handles" to lift out of the pan, and cut.
 
 
I got a little bit fancy by dividing the dough in half, pressing half into the 9 X 13, then drizzling with a layer of caramel topping and about 1/2 cup of crunchy Skor caramel bits, then crumbling the rest of the batter on top and pressing lightly.
It made for a really moist and delicious bar. This is a great way to cook them if you are feeling a little too lazy to scoop them into cookies.

1 comment: