Sunday, March 18, 2012

Cinnamon Bun Cake


I decided to take over the blog today. It's me, Sue.
Jo has done about a bazillion blogs so I thought I better do one.
Jo introduced me to Pinterest a while ago and ever since I have been addicted. I found this delicious recipe there. Well, I have found a million delicious recipes there. This was just one of the first ones I have actually made.
The original recipe can be found HERE at the Six Sister's Stuff blog. (Very cool blog, by the way.)
If you haven't checked Pinterest out, you should. It's so addicting!



Cinnamon Bun Cake

Ingredients
3 cups flour
pinch salt
1 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 Tbsp butter, melted

Cinnamon Swirl
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2/3 cups pecans, finely chopped 

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Directions
Prepare cake - Preheat oven to 350.
With an electric mixer; mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Once combined well, slowly stir in 4 Tbsp melted butter. Pour batter into a greased 9 X 13 baking pan. (I made it into 2 - 8X8 square pans. NOTE - be sure to place pans on a cookie sheet as it tends to bubble up and over the edges of the pans and make a bit of a mess if you are not prepared!)


Prepare cinnamon swirl - In a large bowl, mix the 1 cup of softened butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and pecans until well combined.


Drop evenly over cake batter by the tablespoon and use a knife to marble/swirl through the cake. (This is kind of tricky. Just do the best you can.)


Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out nearly clean from center.
Prepare frosting - Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in icing sugar and vanilla. Spread on cake while still a bit warm. This makes it all melty and gooey and deliciously addicting. Of course, you could wait until it was room temp as well, but why would you want to do that?

I am glad I made it in 2 pans instead of just one. I was able to give one away as a gift. If I had kept it I would have eaten it all. It really is that tasty!
Oh, yeah, while this is baking...the smell is amazing! I guarantee you will be standing by the stove wishing this to cook faster so you can eat it.
(Update - Jo made this as a layer cake. Click HERE to see how she did it!)

1 comment:

  1. This cake is wonderful...all the taste of a cinnamon bun but not all the work:)

    ReplyDelete