Thursday, October 6, 2011

Quinoa Burgers


Here is a great alternative to a heavy, greasy hamburger. It doesn't have that lovely hamburger taste, of course, but it is delicious in its own way. It is wonderfully flavorful! Not to mention the texture is very nice - squishy and crunchy at the same time. I found this recipe to be a little crumbly but, if you are gentle when you handle it, it holds up okay. I cooked mine in a non-stick pan over medium heat, about 10 minutes on each side, so I only had to flip it once therefore minimizing the chances of it falling apart. I'm not sure you'd be able to cook this on a BBQ grill....

I was sad because I didn't have tomato to put on this. *Sigh*


Quinoa Burger

Ingredients
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
3/4 cup carrot, shredded
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup corn
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
pinch salt & pepper
2 large eggs
3 (or 4) whole grain buns
lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese - other burger toppings

Directions
Cook quinoa according to package directions. (I use 1/2 cup quinoa to 1 cup water)
Place cooked quinoa, carrots, bread crumbs, corn, parsley, salt & pepper, and eggs in food processor.


 Process until combined but still chunky.
Use hands to form 3 (or 4) 1 inch deep patties. Place on plate in fridge for 20 minutes to chill.

uncooked patty

Heat non-stick pan over medium heat, spraying lightly with cooking spray. Cook each patty approx 10 minutes per side. 
Fix whole wheat bun with whatever toppings you would like. Place patty on bun and enjoy.

I managed to get 3 patties out of this recipe but the recipe originally said it made 4. It will depend on how big you make your patties (obviously).

I am not sure why but when I gave one to Sue to try, it completely crumbled on the bun. Like, sloppy joe crumbled. It went everywhere. I have no idea why. The only thing I can think of is I was too rough when I flipped it and then took it out of the pan. Oh well, it still tasted good :)
I am beginning to appreciate veggie burgers more. I still love my hamburgers though. Don't get me wrong - nothing will beat a thick, juicy, squishy hamburger with all the toppings.
Sue has a great recipe that uses beans as the binding agent in her veggie burger. I will try and talk her out of her recipe and share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment