Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pumpkin Biscotti with Toffee, Choc Chips, and Pumpkin Seeds


Get ready for yet another pumpkin recipe!
I apologize to those of you who are waiting for me to get over my pumpkin phase. Not to worry! Only a couple of recipes left to go :)
This recipe is one I make maybe once or twice a year for two reasons:
(1) I only cook with pumpkin during the fall
(2) I'm not a huge fan of biscotti but do like dunking it in my tea when it is chilly outside.
I make a mean double chocolate Bailey's biscotti that is fantastic for dipping in hot chocolate. I tend to make that one more....
Anyway...to get back to the Pumpkin Biscotti. It is a little different texture than some traditional biscotti but not in a bad way. Just...in a different way.



Pumpkin Biscotti with Toffee, Choc Chips, and Pumpkin Seeds

Ingredients
2 3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 egg
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup toffee bits
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds, chopped

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie tray with parchment paper.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in toffee, chocolate chips, and pumpkin seeds.


In separate bowl, beat egg with pumpkin puree and vanilla.
Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Dough will be stiff.
Divide the dough in half. Form each half into a log about 10 inches long and 2 inches wide. Place logs on parchment lined cookie tray.
Bake at 350 until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
Remove from oven and let logs cool on tray for about 5 minutes. Remove to a work surface and slice the logs into individual cookies about 1/2 inch thick. Use a sharp knife and a light sawing motion to cut the cookies. (A serrated bread knife also works well.) Place the cookies back onto the parchment lined tray.
Return to oven and bake until lightly browned, about 8 - 10 minutes; turn cookies over and and bake until crisp, another 8 - 10 minutes.
Let cool on wire rack.

Biscotti is a little fussy to make but is worth the effort. It makes a great gift when you bag it up and tie it with a pretty ribbon. It also ships very well.
I was always scared to make biscotti. It was one of those recipes that I had heard was really complicated and only turned out if you did everything perfectly. I'm glad to say this isn't true. I tried it for the first time about 2 years ago and was happy that my first attempt worked! I had also heard that about Creme Brulee but, after our attempting it this year, it turns out it is pretty easy too.
I am frustrated that I have so much trouble making a caramel sauce. Apparently it is supposed to be easy to make. Apparently I have a different idea of what "easy" is when it comes to baking.
I haven't given up completely yet. I'm sure Sue will assist me in figuring out what the secret is. If you know what the secret is.... please let us know :)
In the meantime, if you make the pumpkin biscotti, let us know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment