Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cheese and Bacon Biscuits


I love buying new kitchen gadgets. Yesterday on Sue and I's daytrip to a friend's house I was able to buy something I have been wanting for a while now. I got a Magic Bullet! You know, the mini blender that can do a million things. Okay, I admit it....the infomercial sucked me in.
Don't judge me!! It's cool.

See, cool - right?

That being said, I now had to make something that involved using the new gadget. I wanted something quick and easy that involved little clean up. You know, start slowly and work my way up to the complicated messy stuff. I decided on these delicious Cheese and Bacon Biscuits. (Why? Well, because my fridge was a little empty but I did have cheese that I could grind in the Magic Bullet!)
These biscuits (or you could even get away with calling them scones if you want to be fancy schmancy) are light and airy and very flavorable. I took a basic biscuit recipe and tweaked it a little and came up with this recipe.

Cheese and Bacon Biscuits

Ingredients
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
big pinch salt
1/4 black pepper
1/2 Tbsp Oh! So Garlic (from Sunset Gourmet) - optional
1/2 cup butter, chilled
1 1/2 cups aged cheese, shredded
5 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
1 cup + 2 Tbsp milk (or cream)

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 F.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper (and Oh! So Garlic if using). Cut in the butter using 2 knives or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese and bacon.
Add 1 cup of milk and stir together just until it becomes a sticky dough - do not over work or your biscuits will be tough. Add the remaining 2 Tbsp of milk if you need to, to bring it together.  
Turn onto a lightly floured surface and pat until it comes together. Gently roll out to 1 inch thick. Use a 2 inch cookie or biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits. Bring together scraps and roll out gently again.(I got about 15) 
Bake until golden brown, about 20 - 25 minutes. Best served warm.



I thought I should also mention that my new Magic Bullet is also handy for crumbling bacon as well as shredding cheese. I will keep you updated on what else can be put into a Magic Bullet Blender.

*Note - I was going to buy a really, really cool SQUARE muffin pan. But, Sue wouldn't let me. "Honestly, how many times are you REALLY going to use it?", she asked.
"But, but, but...it's SQUARE!" I responded.
It's okay... It will be added to my collection one day :)

5 comments:

  1. You don't need another pan right now!!! I also made something like this yesterday (forgot to take a picture)but it was a weight watchers version. They turned out yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Screw Sue! Go buy that pan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I believe I will add it to my wish list :)

      Delete
  3. Made these for my hubby and he went nuts over them!

    ReplyDelete